Tudor barn – large group self-catering accommodation on Suffolk farm
The Tudor barn (pictured left) is one of two completely separate large group farm stay self-catering options at Milden Hall (pictured right) in Suffolk in an unusual location and off the beaten track. Friends, families, cyclists, walkers, bird watchers, artists, re-enactors, civilised hens, christening and birthday gatherings - guests can get together in spacious, beautiful, ancient and unspoiled surroundings and amidst our sensitively farmed landscape – for a 2-3 night weekend or midweek break.
The very large 16th century aisled Tudor barn (with integral adjoining cartlodge) has been adapted to provide, simple, beautiful – and quite quirky - accommodation for a large one-group booking of up to 23+ in four bedrooms (3 x 2, 1 x 1+, 1 x 16 + travel cots). For further details on barn layout and facilities click here.
And now we can offer completely separate and more modern, newly kitted out Old Brooder bunkhouse accommodation for up to 22 guests in four bedrooms and lovely restored Shepherd's Hut 100m+ further down the farm track for large groups on a more modest budget. For further details on the bunkhouse click here. Exceptionally, you can hire both barn and bunkhouse together and put additional guests in the Milden Hall farmhouse b&b rooms.
The Tudor barn has been used to celebrate so many different special things. For one off parties – late Sunday lunch, dinner for 50 guests or drinks – click here for details, but for weekend house-parties – and possibly sometimes extra guests for a celebratory meal – read on!
Garden and working farm
Milden Hall is a peaceful and environmentally friendly farm down a long drive with wildflower meadows, hedged countryside, sheep and lambs, two farmyard pigs, bantams scratching, space to roam, space to be together and apart.
The Tudor barn has its own garden space either side of the barn, one side fenced-off so that small children can be kept under supervision – and plenty of space for a barbecue and game of croquet and badminton. Beyond lies the farm museum, more unspoiled, listed historic buildings, and the 500 acre working farm with tracks, castle earthworks, cornfields, woodland, ponds and meadows to explore. We often get asked for activity ideas – we send you a full list on booking.
Banquets & on-line deliveries
We can recommend our excellent local farm shop www.hollowtrees.co.uk for delicious locally sourced food, Redpoll beef, Suffolk lamb, wine and fruit juice – and lots more. We can get a local chef to deliver food or cook for you here for a special occasion and we are always happy to unpack an online supermarket delivery ready for your arrival free of charge. For one night of your stay in the Tudor barn, change into provided period Tudor costumes and enjoy a banquet using wooden platters, Tudor pottery and wine goblets.
Who would enjoy the Tudor barn?
- birthday gatherings – there is literally something here for everyone – bikes for old and tiny; tennis for the sporty; a modest farm museum and wealth of history for the historian and lots of wildlife for the naturalist; a dressing up cupboard for all; space to dance and sing; and a big well-equipped kitchen and banquet tables for the feast – and a cosy winter woodburner to catch up around!
- Adventurous guests who know each other well and are happy to feast, play games and sleep together in a massive space – with three/four private rooms for those who need a bit more privacy (and there are three additional rooms in the adjacent, separate Milden Hall farmhouse b&b rooms), and a second break-out sitting room to escape the noise of the party! You can do your own catering or get someone to deliver food or do the whole serving thing.
Civilised hens – we’ve welcomed numerous hen weekends for those who want somewhere rural and different. The barn - or bunkhouse - provide great options for large sleepover space, with private rooms for the pregnant friend or mother of the bride who needs more sleep than the rest! And we have a long list of ideas of things to do – and recommendations from past groups. Click here for further details.
- Silver, ruby and golden anniversaries with family and friends; with add-on lunch or supper parties for local friends; delight in the space for grandchildren to do their own thing; for friends to be somewhere quirky and unusual - and we can help in organising extra things.
- Carbon-footprint aware guests – we are hugely committed to minimising both our and your carbon footprint during your stay – you can get here (well, most of the way) by train
- Cyclists who want to use our fleet of 40+ adult road bikes - or bring their own!
- Wildlife-friendly guests – you can enjoy wildflowers, woodland, birds, newts, moths, dragonflies and ... woodlice during your explorations of the farm, but remember we do farm as well!
- Well-supervised youth or school groups who would like to do some curriculum-linked re-enacting (Tudor living and WWII evacuation), environmental or art/photography activities - with or without a tutor. Or scouts, sports teams and choirs on tour, schools visiting nearby Kentwell Hall, and music groups with tutors. Click here for more details.
- Artists, photographers and creative writers who want space to be alone and together – and inspiring views, shapes, landscapes, detail, ancient buildings ...
SORRY, WE DON'T HOST REALLY ROWDY ALL-NIGHT OCCASIONS ..... we really don’t want to cramp anyone’s style and expectations and neither do our family or our close neighbours want to be kept awake by noise or be worrying about fire, safety etc. So we hope you understand that to avoid rowdy occasions, we only accept bookings for celebrations where most guests are under 30/male-only groups, or large group wedding guests, by special arrangement and with lots of reassurances. Sorry, we’ve just had some awful experiences!
HOLIDAY PLANNING - AVAILABILITY 2020
FEB HALF TERM: Old Brooder bunkhouse available 14-23rd Feb for 2+ night stays. Tudor barn available 16-23rd for 2+ night stays.
EASTER HOLIDAYS: Tudor barn 9-14th April available as 3+ night stay. Old Brooder bunkhouse 13-19th April available for midweek and w/e breaks.
APRIL: Tudor barn - only Easter w/e and 24-26th April + midweek periods available. Old Brooder bunkhouse - only 17-19th April + midweek periods available.
MAY HALF TERM: Tudor barn 26-29th May for 3 night midweek break. Old Brooder bunkhouse - Sunday 24th May as exceptional one-nighter available or 24-29th May for 2+ night midweek breaks.
CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR: Tudor barn and Old Brooder bunkhouse available for 2+ night breaks. 10% discount if booked before the end of January!
SUMMER HOLIDAY STAYCATION: Enquire with ideal dates and group size and we'll quote.
Tudor barn - facilities at a glance
- Made up beds with duvets (& electric blankets in winter)
- Cooking equipment: Large electric cooker with 5 hotplates, 2 ovens, grill. Microwave. Big hot cupboard.
- Basic BBQ – & local charcoal
- Dishwasher – & tablets
- Large fridge-freezer, fridge & second freezer by arrangement
- Kitchen equipment: saucepans, casserole pots, lasagne-type dishes, smallish food processor, hand whisk, blender
- Tableware: large serving plates & salad bowls, bread baskets, china, cutlery, beer/water/wine/ champagne glasses, cafetiere, tea pots, thermoses, jugs, vases.
- Washing up basics: kitchen cloths/roll, tea towels, oven gloves, washing up liquid
- Cooking basics: salt & pepper, spice rack, limited assortment of tea, instant coffee, plain flour, sugar, cooking oil, herbs in garden
- Non-drip candles provided - please don’t bring your own
- Small upstairs sitting room - sofas & armchairs, TV/DVD, assorted books & games
- Showers & loos: Hand & shower gel, loo paper, shower cleaning materials
- Washing machine
Entertainment at the barn
- Adult Tudor costumes, tableware, music
- Children's dressing up chest (hours of fun)
- Small sound system (larger one by special arrangement)
- Digital piano (by arrangement)
- 23 road bikes for those over 16yrs old & <c15 stone weight, 2 toddler seats & some helmets - bike trail quiz, circular bike routes (BYO children's bikes)
- Hard tennis court (BYO rackets, balls, soft shoes)
- Table football & table tennis
- Croquet, badminton, boules sets
- Board games & playing cards
- Family farm activity pack