Tudor barn – large group self-catering accommodation on Suffolk farm
SCROLL DOWN FOR SMALL GROUP OPTIONS 12 APRIL TO 21 JUNE
The Tudor barn (pictured left) is one of two completely separate large group farm stay self-catering options at Milden Hall (pictured right) in Suffolk in an unusual location and off the beaten track. Friends, families, cyclists, walkers, bird watchers, artists, re-enactors, civilised hens, christening and birthday gatherings - guests can get together in spacious, beautiful, ancient and unspoiled surroundings and amidst our sensitively farmed landscape – for a 2-3 night weekend or midweek break.
The very large 16th century aisled Tudor barn (with integral adjoining cartlodge) has been adapted to provide, simple, beautiful – and quite quirky - accommodation for a large one-group booking of up to 23+ in four bedrooms (3 x 2, 1 x 1+, 1 x 16 + travel cots). For further details on barn layout and facilities click here.
And now we can offer completely separate and more modern, newly kitted out Old Brooder bunkhouse accommodation for up to 22 guests in four bedrooms and lovely restored Shepherd's Hut 100m+ further down the farm track for large groups on a more modest budget. For further details on the bunkhouse click here. Exceptionally, you can hire both barn and bunkhouse together and put additional guests in the Milden Hall farmhouse b&b rooms.
The Tudor barn has been used to celebrate so many different special things. For one off parties – late Sunday lunch, dinner for 50 guests or drinks – click here for details, but for weekend house-parties – and possibly sometimes extra guests for a celebratory meal – read on!
Garden and working farm
Milden Hall is a peaceful and environmentally friendly farm down a long drive with wildflower meadows, hedged countryside, sheep and lambs, two farmyard pigs, bantams scratching, space to roam, space to be together and apart.
The Tudor barn has its own garden space either side of the barn, one side fenced-off so that small children can be kept under supervision – and plenty of space for a barbecue and game of croquet and badminton. Beyond lies the farm museum, more unspoiled, listed historic buildings, and the 500 acre working farm with tracks, castle earthworks, cornfields, woodland, ponds and meadows to explore. We often get asked for activity ideas – we send you a full list on booking.
Banquets & on-line deliveries
We can recommend our excellent local farm shop www.hollowtrees.co.uk for delicious locally sourced food, Redpoll beef, Suffolk lamb, wine and fruit juice – and lots more. We can get a local chef to deliver food or cook for you here for a special occasion and we are always happy to unpack an online supermarket delivery ready for your arrival free of charge. For one night of your stay in the Tudor barn, change into provided period Tudor costumes and enjoy a banquet using wooden platters, Tudor pottery and wine goblets.
SMALL GROUPS WELCOME (in our BIG properties)
12 April to 21 June
Until group size restrictions are lifted (21st June), we are offering small groups the opportunity to book our big properties - the Cartlodge with Tudor barn and the Old Brooder:
12 April - 17 May: single households only with prices from £250 for a two night weekend and 3+ night midweek stays from £275
17 May - 21 June: two household groups with prices from £495 for a two night weekend and 3+ night midweek stays from £500
We're including use of adult road bikes and tennis court, as well as Welcome Milden breakfast sausages and home-grown fruit compote! Contact us for the Small Group leaflet or send us group size, type and preferred dates and we will send you a quote.
AFTER 21 JUNE ... WE HOPE ALL RESTRICTIONS WILL BE LIFTED
We're getting lots of enquiries for immediately after 21 June .... and dates are filling up fast - so do contact us with group size, the occasion, and preferred dates for a quote and we'll get back to you within a few hours. Very occasionally enquiries end up in our junk folder in the sky so do phone if we haven't got back to you!
For more info and to book: call 01787 247235 or email email@example.com
Who would enjoy the Tudor barn?
- 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th and other birthday gatherings – there is literally something here for everyone – bikes for old and tiny; tennis for the sporty; a modest farm museum and wealth of history for the historian and lots of wildlife for the naturalist; a dressing up cupboard for all; space to dance and sing; and a big well-equipped kitchen and banquet tables for the feast – and a cosy winter woodburner to catch up around!
- Adventurous guests who know each other well and are happy to feast, play games and sleep together in a massive space – one large barn plus three/four private rooms for those who need a bit more privacy (and there are three additional rooms in the adjacent, separate Milden Hall farmhouse b&b rooms), and a second break-out sitting room to escape the noise of the party! You can do your own catering or get someone to deliver food or do the whole serving thing.
Civilised hens – we’ve welcomed numerous hen weekends for those who want somewhere rural and different. The barn - or bunkhouse - provide great options for large sleepover space, with private rooms for the pregnant friend or mother of the bride who needs more sleep than the rest! And we have a long list of ideas of things to do – and recommendations from past groups. Click here for further details.
- Silver, ruby and golden anniversaries with family and friends; with add-on lunch or supper parties for local friends; delight in the space for grandchildren to do their own thing; for friends to be somewhere quirky and unusual - and we can help in organising extra things.
- Carbon-footprint aware guests – we are hugely committed to minimising both our and your carbon footprint during your stay – you can get here (well, most of the way) by train
- Cyclists who want to use our fleet of 40+ adult road bikes - or bring their own!
- Wildlife-friendly guests – you can enjoy wildflowers, woodland, birds, newts, moths, dragonflies and ... woodlice during your explorations of the farm, but remember we do farm as well!
- Well-supervised youth or school groups who would like to do some curriculum-linked re-enacting (Tudor living and WWII evacuation), environmental or art/photography activities - with or without a tutor. Or scouts, sports teams and choirs on tour, schools visiting nearby Kentwell Hall, and music groups with tutors. Click here for more details.
- Artists, photographers and creative writers who want space to be alone and together – and inspiring views, shapes, landscapes, detail, ancient buildings ...
SORRY, WE DON'T HOST REALLY ROWDY ALL-NIGHT OCCASIONS ..... we really don’t want to cramp anyone’s style and expectations and neither do our family or our close neighbours want to be kept awake by noise or be worrying about fire, safety etc. So we hope you understand that to avoid rowdy occasions, we only accept bookings for celebrations where most guests are under 30/male-only groups, or large group wedding guests, by special arrangement and with lots of reassurances. Sorry, we’ve just had some awful experiences!
Tudor barn - facilities at a glance
- Made up beds with duvets (& electric blankets in winter)
- Cooking equipment: Large electric cooker with 5 hotplates, 2 ovens, grill. Microwave. Big hot cupboard.
- Basic BBQ – & local charcoal
- Dishwasher – & tablets
- Large fridge-freezer, fridge & second freezer by arrangement
- Kitchen equipment: saucepans, casserole pots, lasagne-type dishes, smallish food processor, hand whisk, blender
- Tableware: large serving plates & salad bowls, bread baskets, china, cutlery, beer/water/wine/ champagne glasses, cafetiere, tea pots, thermoses, jugs, vases.
- Washing up basics: kitchen cloths/roll, tea towels, oven gloves, washing up liquid
- Cooking basics: salt & pepper, spice rack, limited assortment of tea, instant coffee, plain flour, sugar, cooking oil, herbs in garden
- Non-drip candles provided - please don’t bring your own
- Small upstairs sitting room - sofas & armchairs, TV/DVD, assorted books & games
- Showers & loos: Hand & shower gel, loo paper, shower cleaning materials
- Washing machine
Entertainment at the barn
- Adult Tudor costumes, tableware, music
- Children's dressing up chest (hours of fun)
- Small sound system (larger one by special arrangement)
- Digital piano (by arrangement)
- 23 road bikes for those over 16yrs old & <c15 stone weight, 2 toddler seats & some helmets - bike trail quiz, circular bike routes (BYO children's bikes)
- Hard tennis court (BYO rackets, balls, soft shoes)
- Table football & table tennis
- Croquet, badminton, boules sets
- Board games & playing cards
- Family farm activity pack